Reports and other materials on recent topics of interest to the CLORE mission.
Jenny Rivera, An Equal Protection Standard for National Origin Subclassifications: The Context that Matters, 82 Wash. L. Rev. 897 (2007)
This Article analyzes equal protection challenges to Latino classifications and presents a new approach to equal protection doctrine and discourse in which Latino national origin subclassifications are contextualized and recognized as legally relevant and operative. The Article draws on the history surrounding the definition of "Latinos" and "Hispanics" in the United States to justify a contextualized definitional and constitutional analysis, and proposes a uniform standard of review for national origin subclassifications based on the legal, historical, cultural, and the political context of subclasses.
CLORE Fellow Natasha Bannan's recent paper on Vieques, Puerto Rico, U.S. Military Policy and Vieques: The Constitutionality and Consequences of Bombing a Nation. Read More »
Publications available in the CUNY Law library.
- CUNY Law Faculty, by Name (PDF) <pdf>
- CUNY Law Faculty, by Subject (PDF) <pdf>
- CUNY Law Special Collection, by Subject (PDF) <pdf>
Search the CUNY Law library online catalog for CLORE related materials. Type "CLORE" as a keyword.
- 01/26/2012 - Hispanics Say They Have the Worst of a Bad Economy
- 12/08/2011 - Racial and Ethnic Disparity in Manhattan Jury Pools: Results of a Survey and Suggestions for Reform (2007) <pdf>
- 12/01/2011 - Unauthorized Immigrants: Length of Residency, Patterns of Parenthood (Pew Hispanic Center)
- 11/14/2011 - Latinos Surpass Blacks Living in Poverty, Census Study Shows (New America Media)
- 09/27/2011 - Latinos Continue To Be (Illegally) Told, 'Show Me Your Papers!' (Alternet/ACLU)
- 09/08/2011 - Department of Justice Report on Puerto Rico Police Department
- 08/25/2011 - Hispanic College Enrollment Spikes, Narrowing Gaps with Other Groups (Pew Hispanic Center)
- 07/26/2011 - Wealth Gaps Rise to Record Highs Between Whites, Blacks, Hispanics (Pew Hispanic Center)
- 02/09/2011 - Latinos and Digital Technology, 2010 (Pew Hispanic Center)
- 11/08/2010 - Department of Justice letter on its investigation of the NYPD <pdf>
- 11/03/2010 - The Latino Vote in the 2010 Elections (Pew Hispanic Center)
- 10/06/2010 - Report by Community Service Society on Latino Youth in NYC <pdf>
- 08/27/2010 - Michael A. Olivas, The Political Economy of the DREAM Act and the Legislative Process, 55 Wayne Law Review 1757 (2010)
- 07/28/2010 - The Latino Digital Divide: The Native Born versus The Foreign Born (Pew Hispanic Center)
- 01/18/2010 - California Law Firm Critical Mass Best Practices Diversity Research Study Report (Talent Advisory Board) <pdf>
- 01/12/2010 - Study finds Americans believe that Hispanics are now the most likely group to experience discrimination.
- 12/14/2009 - Center for Latin American, Caribbean & Latino Studies' Report: Latino Population of New York City, 2008 <pdf>
- 12/11/2009 - Between Two Worlds: How Young Latinos Come of Age in America
- 12/7/2009 - PEW Center Report on Hispanics in the News
- William C. Velásquez Institute (WCVI) Study Finds Disproportionate Foreclosures in Latino, Black Communities
- Hispanic National Bar Association in Support of the Confirmation of the Honorable Sonia Sotomayor as Associate Justice of The Supreme Court of The United States (PDF) <pdf>
- Hispanic Business magazine names influential Latinas and Latinos
- Pew Hispanic Center Demographic Profiles by Country of National Origin
- Report on health disparities between women of color and white women
- Congressional Black, Hispanic and Asian Pacific American Caucuses issue statement on Health Care Reform Priorities <pdf>
- Report Concludes Immigration Agents Violated Laws and Agency Rules During Home Raids (NY Times)
- Report on Immigrant Women (New America Media) <pdf>
- More Puerto Ricans live in U.S. states than in Puerto Rico (Orlando Sentinel)
- Land Reform in Puerto Rico: Modernizing the Colonial State, 1941-1969 by Ismael García-Colón, Ph.D. <pdf>
- Deportado, Dominicano, y Humano: The Realities of Dominican Deportations and Related Policy Recommendations <pdf>
Northern Manhattan Coalitoin for Immigrant Rights Report on the impact of deportations on the Dominican community.
- Hispanics and the Criminal Justice System , Pew Report on Latinos' confidence in US criminal justice system
- Two research papers by Joni Hersch on skin color discrimination and immigrant workers.
• Skin Color Discrimination and Immigrant Pay
• Profiling the New Immigrant Worker: The Effects of Skin Color and Height
- Unemployment Rose Sharply Among Latino Immigrants in 2008 by Rakesh Kochhar, Associate Director for Research, Pew Hispanic Center
- The Costs Of Crackdowns by Christopher Munsey, Monitor on Psychology, Volume 39, No. 9 October 2008
- The Latino Vote in 2008: Trends and Characteristics <pdf> by Antonio Gonzalez, President, and Steven Ochoa, Vice President of Public Policy and Research
- Domestic Homicide in New York State, 2007 <pdf>; Criminal Justice Research Report
- America Prefers to Punish rather than to Provide Care by Tony Favro, City Mayors Society