Students come to CUNY Law because they want to change the world. Our unique curriculum provides experiential learning, beginning on day one, to ensure students graduate with the skills and tools they need to make that change. As the national leader in progressive legal education, we then help our graduates find the in-demand public interest and public service jobs that will allow them to create their own individual impact on the local or global community that speaks to them.
- Average age: 28
- New York residents: 78%
- Out-of-state residents: 22%
- Women: 63% ; Men: 37%
- Students of color: 51%
Tours of the Law School are conducted weekly on Fridays during the school year, with an opportunity to sit in on a first-year class prior to the start of each tour.
We are also on the road! Our representatives visit undergraduate schools, recruitment events and LSAC Forums around the country in order to meet you.
Contact Us or Schedule a Visit
The admissions team is here to help! For more information please contact the Admissions Office by calling (718) 340-4210 or sending an e-mail to the Office of Admissions.
Degna P. Levister
Assistant Dean of Admissions
Associate Director of Admissions
Assistant Director of Admissions
The mission of the City University of New York (CUNY) School of Law, the only publicly-supported law school in New York City and one of only two in the State, is to educate students for the practice of law with special emphasis on public service and public interest law. We seek to:
- Enhance the diversity of the bar and to meet previously unmet legal needs
- Recruit students from and train lawyers for historically underserved communities
- Educate all our students about the diverse and special legal needs of communities through our City and State
Although academic potential is demonstrated through quantitative factors such as the undergraduate record and LSAT scores, the selection committee also assesses the following:
- Rigor of the areas of study and college attended
- Quality of the student body
- Grade point average and course selection trends
- Employment during college
- Individual accomplishments, backgrounds and experiences
CUNY has a remarkable student body from such diverse geographic, cultural, economic, racial, ethnic and social backgrounds as are reflected in New York City. Their accomplishments, talents, experiences and compassion will make a positive and long-lasting contribution to underserved and underrepresented communities.