If your first undergraduate degree was earned from an institution outside of the United States, its territories and Canada, an evaluation of your academic records must be done by the LSAC's Credential Assembly Service to determine if the degree is the equivalent of a baccalaureate (bachelor's) degree from an approved institution in the United States.

Applicants who studied outside the U.S. and Canada must use LSAC.org online registration for the Credential Assembly Service. Registration for this foreign credential evaluation service will only be offered online. There will be no paper registration process. Additionally, foreign-educated applicants are required to participate in the LSAC Letter of Recommendation Service. Please contact LSAC for additional information.

In cases where the Admissions Committee has concerns about an applicant's fluency in English, the applicant may be required to present a recent score from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Many applicants choose to submit a TOEFL score without being asked to provide one. Our TOEFL code number is 8483. For information on TOEFL, write to TOEFL Services, Educational Testing Service, Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151 (USA) or email toefl@ets.org.

CUNY Law offers a J.D. program only. We do not offer the Master's of Law (LL.M.) degree, nor do we offer a foreign lawyer program.

Canadian Applicants

Canadian students are welcome and encouraged to apply to CUNY School of Law, where they will receive an excellent legal education with an emphasis on public interest law. In order to apply to the CUNY School of Law, it is necessary to take the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT), the standard examination used by all law schools in the United States. Canadian students can find out where and when they can sit for this examination - in Canada, the U.S. or in other parts of the world - at the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) website or by calling (215) 968-1001. This examination is given only in English.

With a J.D. from CUNY, Canadian students can sit for the New York Bar and can be admitted to practice (following, of course, all necessary immigration procedures). Canadian students with a J.D. from CUNY can return to Canada and, once they follow procedures set forth by the National Committee on Accreditation (which usually includes additional courses and examinations), practice in Canada.

For further information, Canadian students should contact the following:

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
Student Support Branch
Ministry of Training
Colleges and Universities
PO Box 4500
189 Red River Road, 4th Floor
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6G9
(807) 343-7260

Citibank Student Loan Corp.
PO Box 6074
Sioux Falls, SD 57117-6074
(800) 745-5473
(Note: requires a U.S. co-signer)

CanHELP (an organization in the U.S. that assists Canadian students) at the:
International Education Finance Corporation
424 Adams Street
Milton, MA 02186
(888) 296-HEFC (4332) or (617) 696-7840

The Royal Bank of Canada (which services all provinces)
PO Box 25120
Wealth, ON N1G 4T4

International & Canadian Applicants

Under U.S. Immigration regulations, in order to be admitted to the Law School, Canadian students must agree that they will finance three years of law school and produce documentation that their fiscal sponsor(s) possess the costs equivalent to the first year's tuition and living expenses, estimated to be approximately $20,000 (U.S.). If self-sponsored, a student must show a bank statement in the student's name for all three years, i.e., $60,000 (U.S.) or the Canadian equivalent, or proof of Canadian student loans for $20,000 each year. Canadian students are not eligible to receive U.S. financial aid. Loans are, however, available from Provincial entities and others.

Students should expect that it will take at least one month before the start of school to obtain housing. Suggestions about where to look and what to expect may be obtained by emailing the Student Affairs Office or by calling (718) 340-4207. A month may also be required for telephone installation to satisfy phone company requirements, ruling out possible duplication of Canadian social insurance numbers and U.S. Social Security numbers.

While studying at the Law School, CUNY students are expected to maintain their student visa and immigration status by continuing to study full-time and retain a minimum 3.0 average (on a 4.0 scale), as well as follow Immigration rules about working legally in the United States. Frequent travel back and forth from the United States to Canada may be authorized each semester by a DSO.