How can I settle my bill?
We accept cash, checks, certified checks and money orders for tuition. Please make checks payable to "CUNY School of Law." If a check is returned because there are insufficient funds to cover it, we will levy a $25 charge.

What if I cannot pay my entire balance?
Academic Management Services (AMS) is an agency that will assist you in paying by monthly installments. An $18 non-refundable fee is payable to AMS at the time of enrollment. The payment plan is spread over five months. If you are registering for the fall semester, payment starts in July, and spring semester payment starts in December. There is a $15 fee for late payments. There is no summer contract available through AMS. You may also use the Tuition Pay website or call 1-800-635-0120.

What if my bill is covered by financial aid?
If you are receiving financial aid, you will be registered. However, you must visit the Business Office to validate your bill. This will allow you to collect your books.

What happens if I fail to settle my registration bill by the due date?
Your classes will be cancelled. You will have to re-register and pay a late fee of $25.

What happens if I joined AMS and my financial aid is approved afterwards?
Please contact AMS to cancel or modify your contract. Then, inform the Bursar of the change for your payment schedule.

When and where do I pick up my financial aid check?
If you have direct deposit with your bank or financial institution, the financial aid check will be deposited directly into your account. However, if you don't have this option, the Financial Aid office will notify you of the disbursement date and checks will be mailed to the address on file.

How can I settle my bill with a Third Party Voucher?
Third party vouchers should be given to the Bursar, who will apply the payment to tuition. If you are to receive the money directly, you will be notified by the Bursar.

If I owe money for a previous semester, will my account be blocked?
There is a "Bursar stop" for those who don't pay all tuition from a previous semester. You will be notified that a "stop" has been placed on your records and you will not be able to access your transcript until you clear with the Business Office.

I have a tuition waiver, however it is not showing on my bill. When will this waiver be applied to my bill?
Please see the Financial Aid Office to resolve the issue.

I have received a 1098-T. What is this form for?
Every education institution must report and send you this form because it relates to your tuition and fees for a specific fiscal year. You must report this information to the Internal Revenue Service when you file your tax return.

When is the last day I can add/drop a course?
Please check the Academic Calendar posted on the Web site.

When is administrative week and pre-law week?
Please check the Academic Calendar posted on the Web site.

I am a visiting student. With whom do I discuss my bill?
Contact the Bursar at 718-340-4364 or email.

Where do I collect my books?
Please see the Book Distribution Center page for this information.

I am an out-of-state student. How do I find out if I qualify for in-state tuition?
Visit the Tuition & Fees section of our Web site. Search the page for information regarding Residency. Please read the instructions carefully.