- What is the CUNYfirst Project?
- What can faculty do with CUNYfirst?
- How will I have access to CUNYfirst?
- Can I have more than one role in CUNYfirst?
- What is the biggest difference between SIMS and CUNYfirst?
- Will I receive training on all CUNYfirst Processes?
- What are the processes under CUNYfirst?
- What will the Human Resource processes allow me to do?
- I heard about Employee Self-Service and the ability to work with HR to make sure my personal information is correct. Is there anything that cannot be changed?
- I work in a job that doesn't require a computer. Does that mean I won't have access to CUNYfirst?
- Will there be tracking of purchases and budgets?
- Where do I find the Faculty Center in CUNYfirst?
1. What is the CUNYfirst Project?
FIRST stands for Fully Integrated Resources and Services Tool. ERP stands for Enterprise Resource Planning and for CUNY it means a massive change in how we’ll do things in the future. ERP processes in Student Administration, Human Resources and Finance will change how we do everything from registering for classes to paying our bills.
ERP computer systems will replace aging legacy systems like SIMS and CUPS and help us streamline and standardize many of the things we do at our colleges. The PeopleSoftTM processes that our students, faculty and staff will interact with via the interest have been implemented in phases.
2. What can faculty do with CUNYfirst?
Faculty can view rosters and class schedules, perform a class search, advise students, and assign grades. As advisors, faculty will benefit from the resources within CUNYfirst that allow access to the same information as seen by students. Different departments may have access to the same student at the same time, thereby eliminating wait time or the need to send students to different offices.
3. How will I have access to CUNYfirst?
Everyone (faculty, staff and students) will be given an ID and an initial password to sign into the system. At the first sign on, you will be required to change your password to something familiar to you. You will then be asked to give answers to five security questions of your choice so you can get help if you forget your password. You will change your password many times in a given year to ensure the security requirements that are needed to protect this system.
4. Can I have more than one role in CUNYfirst?
Yes. For example, let’s say you are faculty chairperson. You will have access to CUNYfirst Student processes needed to do your job in your department. You may also have access to Human Resources processes in your role as someone who manages people or hires new employees. Additionally, you may have access to Finance processes for purchasing department or office materialsseeking reimbursement for expenses. With CUNYfirst, access to all functions with one sign-on is in one integrated system!
5. What is the biggest difference between SIMS and CUNYfirst?
The answer is right there – systems vs. system. Our current systems, which are numerous, operate to conduct all our business at CUNY. Very few of them interact with each other. CUNYfirst will integrate all our financial, HR and student processes so that data can be used instantaneously across departments and across the University.
6. Will I receive training on all CUNYfirst Processes?
No. In CUNYfirst everyone is assigned roles based on the work they do. Those roles are determined by managers and supervisors who are translating current work into CUNYfirst functions. When that has been determined, you will receive training to perform the exact tasks you need to do your job - no more, no less. If it is determined you need training on additional functions outside your role, your supervisorsbosses are responsible for ensuring that you receive the necessary training to do your job.
7. What are the processes under CUNYfirst?
There are three main areas at CUNY where new processes will be implemented – Finance, Human Resources and Student Administration.
- Finance: General Ledger, Procurement (Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Expenses), Planning and Budgeting, Accounts Receivable, Asset Management, Cash and Deal Management.
- Human Resources: Base HR Processes, Base Benefit Processes, Recruitment, Time and Labor, Leave Management and Payroll (interfaces with NY State and NYC).
- Student Administration: Academic Structure, Course Catalogue, Schedule of Classes, Student Financials, Student Records, Financial Aid and Admissions.
8. What will the Human Resource processes allow me to do?
A major feature of the CUNY ERP will be its self-service functions, allowing faculty and staff to view portions of their HR records, including a listing of current chosen benefits.
9. I heard about Employee Self-Service and the ability to work with HR to make sure my personal information is correct. Is there anything that cannot be changed?
With the CUNYfirst Human Resource module, all faculty and staff are encouraged to check to make sure their data is correct, i.e. spelling of name, address, family information and current listing of benefits. If anything is not correct, employees should contact their local HR office to make sure it is corrected. In that data, information such as social security numbers, which are needed for tax purposes, along with name changes, new degrees, etc. must be confirmed by the HR professionals.
10. I work in a job that doesn’t require a computer. Does that mean I won’t have access to CUNYfirst?
No. CUNYfirst can be accessed from anywhere via your favorite internet browser. There are specific requirements for which browsers can be used, but if you have a computer at home, you can sign on to look at your personnel information or, in the future, fill out a time sheet. Campus IT teams are making computers available at various locations at the colleges for those who don’t use computers in their daily work.
11. Will there be tracking of purchases and budgets?
Yes. The new procurement module, the FINANCE section of CUNYfirst, has a tracking feature that will allow everyone who is involved in a procurement, from requestors to those who will track packages and deliveries as well as the payment for such procurements, will be able to see its status. There is also a feature in the Procurement system that will allow checking the budgeted funds against the purchase order.