It is important that everyone be on the same page when it comes to understanding some of the basics of CUNYfirst. The following lists a number of common questions we've received from college Town Hall meetings or from emails that have been sent to the Core Team (email@example.com). We encourage any question, any time.
- Will CUNYfirst affect me?
- What is the biggest difference between current systems and CUNYfirst?
- Will I receive training on all CUNYfirst Processes?
- Can I use my personal email for CUNYfirst?
- What are the password requirements for CUNYfirst?
- What do I do if I forget my password?
- Which browser is recommended for CUNYfirst access?
- Does CUNYfirst work on Macs?
- Do I have to be on campus to register for a CUNYfirst account?
- Can I have more than one role in CUNYfirst?
- How will I have access to CUNYfirst?
- I work in a job that doesn't require a computer. Does that mean I won't have access to CUNYfirst?
- I'm a student who is used to dealing with the bursar, financial aid and registrars offices. Will they all have access to my information?
- What are the processes under CUNYfirst?
- Will there be tracking of purchases, budgets?
- What backup systems are in place to make sure the data won't be lost?
- I heard about Employee Self-Service and the ability to work with HR to make sure my personal information is correct. Is there anything that cannot be changed?
- Do all colleges participate in CUNYfirst testing?
1. Will CUNYfirst affect me?
Yes. By the time all modules and applications are fully implemented every one of our students, faculty and staff will have access to CUNYfirst. All employees will have access via self-service when the Human Resources modules go live in a few months. They’ll be able to view their personal information (address, phone number, etc.) and current listing of benefits and report to their local HR office if their data is incorrect.
2. What is the biggest difference between SIMS, our former system, and CUNYfirst?
The answer is right there - systems vs. system. Our current systems, which are numerous, operate to conduct all our business at CUNY. Very few of them interact with each other. CUNYfirst will integrate all our financial, HR and student processes so that data can be used instantaneous across departments and across the university.
3. Will I receive training on all CUNYfirst Processes?
No. In CUNYfirst everyone is assigned roles based on the work they do. Those are determined by managers and supervisors who are translating current work into CUNYfirst functions. When that has been determined, you will receive training to perform the exact tasks you need to do your job. No more, no less. If it is determined you need training on functions outside your role, your bosses will make sure you get it.
4. Can I use my personal email for CUNYfirst?
No. You must use your CUNY email account.
5. What are the password requirements for CUNYfirst?
- At least 8 characters long
- At least 1 uppercase letter AND at least 1 numeric OR one special character
- Can't use last 4 previous passwords
- Can't be changed for 5 days after the last password change
6. What do I do if I forget my password?
- Navigate to CUNYfirst Portal Login page
- Click on the Forgot Your Password? link
- Enter the Username (your CUNYfirst account)
7. Which browser is recommended for CUNYfirst access?
- Internet Explorer 6.0+
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6+
*Pop-ups must also be enabled.
8. Does CUNYfirst work on Macs?
Yes, as long as you use a recommended browser.
9. Do I have to be on campus to register for a CUNYfirst account?
No. All you need is internet access and one of the recommended browsers.
10. Can I have more than one role in CUNYfirst?
Yes. For example, let’s say you are faculty chairperson. You will have access to CUNYfirst Student processes needed to do your job in your department. You may also have access to Human Resources processes in your role as someone who manages people or can hire new employees. You may also have access to Finance processes for purchasing material for your office or getting expenses reimbursed. Access to all functions with one sign-on in one integrated system.
11. How will I have access to CUNYfirst?
Everyone (faculty, staff and students) will be given an ID and an initial password to sign into the system. At the first sign on, you will be required to change your password to something familiar to you. You will then be asked to give answers to three security questions of your choice so you can get help if you forget your password. You will change your password many times in a given year to ensure the security requirement needed to protect this system.
12. I work in a job that doesn’t require a computer. Does that mean I won’t have access to CUNYfirst?
No. CUNYfirst can be accessed from anywhere via your favorite internet browser. There are specific requirements for which browsers can be used, but if you have a computer at home, you can sign on to look at your personnel information or, in the future, fill out a time sheet. Campus IT teams are making available computers at various locations at the colleges for those who don’t use a computer in their day to day work.
13. I'm a student who is used to dealing with the bursar, financial aid and registrars offices. Will they all have access to my information?
Anyone who is given security access to assist students in their careers will be able to refer to a student’s record and look at the same information. They could even look at the data at the same time, but only one person can update a student’s record at a time. This will improve service as everyone will be on the same page – no more “he told me that and she told me this.”
14. What are the processes under CUNYfirst?
There are three main areas at CUNY where new processes will be implemented – Finance, Human Resources and Student Administration.
- Finance: General Ledger, Procurement (Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Expenses), Planning and Budgeting, Accounts Receivable, Asset Management, Cash and Deal Management.
- Human Resources: Base HR Processes, Base Benefit Processes, Recruitment, Time and Labor, Leave Management and Payroll (interfaces with NY State and NYC).
- Student Administration: Academic Structure, Course Catalogue, Schedule of Classes, Student Financials, Student Records, Financial Aid and Admissions.
15. Will there be tracking of purchases, budgets?
Yes. The new procurement module, which is now in its business process configuration and validation phase, will have a tracking feature that will allow everyone who is involved in a procurement, from requestors to those who will track packages and deliveries, as well as the payment for procurements, will be able to see its status. There is also a feature in the Procurement system that will allow checking of budgeted funds against the purchase order. A screen in the module will be the LifeSpan page (see graphic below). That shows the timeline of a procurement from Requisition to Payment.
16. What backup systems are in place to make sure the data won’t be lost?
The CUNYfirst system is hosted by our partners from Oracle at a site in Atlanta, Georgia. That means our data and processes are going back and forth on the highest quality data lines from New York to there. Each day, current CUNY data is replicated at a second site every 15 minutes, also in Georgia, but far enough away to ensure that any compromises at the primary site (weather, natural disaster, etc.) will not be replicated because of proximity. The systems are backed up every night. In case of a shutdown at our primary site, a recovery plan has already been created to ensure a smooth transition to the backup data, and, when our technical teams have it available again, a smooth transition to our primary site.
17. I heard about Employee Self-Service and the ability to work with HR to make sure my personal information is correct. Is there anything that cannot be changed?
With the CUNYfirst Human Resource module, all faculty and staff are encouraged to check to make sure their data is correct, i.e. spelling of name, address, family information and current listing of benefits. If anything is not correct, employees should contact their local HR office to make sure it is corrected. In that data, information such as social security numbers, which are needed for tax purposes, along with name changes, new degrees, etc. must be confirmed by the HR professionals.
18. Do all colleges participate in CUNYfirst testing?
Yes and no. While some testing requires us to get a wide range of experiences as we put the processes through their paces, we may have some campus experts participate in one test while others are called for another. Since we are creating common business processes to be used across the university, we want to make sure we will use something that works at every campus.
CUNYfirst Maintenance Affecting CUNY Law
From 5:00pm on Wednesday March 27 to Monday April 1, all current live CUNYfirst applications will be unavailable due to maintenance. There will be no outage of CUNYfirst training and testing systems during this time.