How to Apply for Financial Aid
Student financial aid is money from educational loans, grants, scholarships, or earnings from the Federal Work Study Program. The amount of financial assistance is determined by a student's need and is limited by the approved budget. If you plan to use federal student loans in payment of your educational expenses, you must complete the following steps:
Step 1: Complete the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) listing:
CUNY School of Law at Queens College
Title IV institution code: G31913
Students who applied for financial aid last year may also be able to complete a Renewal FAFSA application on-line. Renewal FAFSA filers will need to obtain a PIN number first. The PIN is your identifier to let you access personal information in various U.S. Education Department systems. You must have a PIN to file an on-line Renewal FAFSA or to make on-line corrections to your FAFSA. Request a pin at www.pin.ed.gov
Step 2: Student Aid Report
After the FAFSA is processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). If you provided an e-mail address on your FAFSA, you will receive an electronic SAR. If no e-mail address is provided, you will receive a paper SAR. Review the SAR carefully. There will be a message on your SAR if additional information is needed to complete the process.
Step 3: Submit Supporting Documentation
- Some students may be required to submit additional documents to satisfy Federal Verification requirements (i.e. Selective Service, proof of citizenship or permanent residency status, etc.)—if we request such documents, please do so at your earliest convenience.
- Submit a copy of your Social Security Card
Step 4: Review Award Letter
- Once your financial aid file is complete and processed, you will receive an award letter. Review the award letter and make any changes you deem necessary.
Step 5: Applying for a Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan or Grad Plus Loan
To borrow a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan or Grad Plus loan:
- First time borrowers at CUNY Law must complete the Federal Direct Student Loan Entrance Counseling at http://studentloans.gov. Entrance counseling is required once for new loan applicants at CUNY Law. Be sure to indicate that you are a Graduate Student. Automatic notification of your successful completion will be sent to CUNY directly.
- Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). The Department of Education requires that you submit a (MPN) for your Direct Loans. If you plan to borrow more than your annual maximum in Direct Loans through a Grad Plus loan, you must also:
- Request a Grad Plus loan
- Complete a Grad Plus Master Promissory Note
- Complete the 2013-2-14 Direct Loan Request Form included in the required documents packet. You must indicate the dollar amount you wish to borrow based on your personal situation and the tuition and other estimated expenses that make up that cost of attendance budget.
Step 6: Check your E-mail – Additional Information may be Required
Check your e-mail regularly for messages from the Office of Financial Aid. You may be selected for Verification, or your FAFSA may indicate the need for additional documentation. You will receive an e-mail indicating any additional forms or information that may be needed. Please respond promptly in order to expedite your loan processing.
Step 7: Sign-up for Direct Deposit
- In order to expedite your loan funds, students are strongly encouraged to sign up for Direct Deposit. The Direct Deposit Form will be included in the Required Forms section.