Student loans, unlike grants and work-study, are borrowed money that must be repaid, with interest, just like a car loan and mortgages. You cannot have these loans canceled because you didn't like the education you received, didn't get a job as a lawyer or because you are having financial difficulty. Loans are legal obligations, so before you take out a student loan, think about the amount you will have to repay over the years.


Federal Perkins Loan

Download the Federal Perkins Loan Reference Guide <pdf>

Below are forms specific to City University of New York (CUNY) borrowers. If you are not sure which deferment/cancellation to apply for, you can review a list of possible deferments/cancellations, including the conditions under which each can be granted.

Please remember to keep a copy of any form you submit for your records.


The FSA Ombudsman

If you are having a problem with your federal student loan, contact the FSA Ombudsman at the US Department of Education. The FSA Ombudsman is dedicated to helping students resolve disputes and other problems with federal student loans. The FSA Ombudsman will research your problem in an impartial and objective manner and will try to develop a fair solution. The FSA Ombudsman does not have the authority to impose a solution. Nevertheless, many students have found the FSA Ombudsman to be helpful in resolving disputes with lenders. You can contact the FSA Ombudsman via this link, by phone at 1-877-557-2575 or 1-202-377-3800, by fax at 1-202-275-0549, by mail at U.S. Department of Education, FSA Ombudsman, 830 First Street, NE, Fourth Floor, Washington, DC 20202-5144, or by email.