Information for Repaying Your Federal Education Loans

Exit counseling is required when you leave school, request a leave of absence, drop below half-time enrollment, or graduate. Exit counseling is a mandatory session for federal student loan borrowers where information is presented prior to graduation or following a drop in enrollment status to less than half-time. Information on this page includes loan repayment and debt management strategies.

Please see the link for the Federal Perkins Loan deferment/forbearance form: link <pdf>


Repayment Resources


Civil Legal Assistance Attorney Student Loan Repayment Program (CLAAP)

The "Harkin bill," became authorized by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, and is now entitled the Civil Legal Assistance Attorney Student Loan Repayment Program (CLAAP). Five million dollars is now available for distribution to qualified civil legal assistance attorneys with federal student loan debt. The Department of Education will commit these funds to eligible civil legal assistance attorneys on a first-come, first-served basis.

To Apply: Please contact Law School Advocacy and Outreach, Equal Justice Works, at or (843) 441-3656 who can let you know as soon as the application period opens. Those who wish to apply should complete the application as soon as it is available because funds are unlikely to cover all applicants.

As usual, the program includes some complexity. Please see the comprehensive CLAAP webpage. EJW has also scheduled two webinars to help civil legal assistance attorneys interested in the program. Everything currently we known about the program is on that webpage.

Allows students to access their own federal student loan data, complete their Master Promissory Note and find out more information about entrance and exit counseling, consolidation, and repayment options. More Details »