Important Pension Information
March 23, 2012
Effective April 1, 2012, the State of New York has instituted a new tier, Tier VI, in the pension systems for public employees, which significantly changes the terms of retirement. For a summary of some of these changes, please see Governor Cuomo's press release .
CUNY employees who have already enrolled in a pension system are not affected by this new legislation and will continue in their present tier. Employees who are not currently enrolled in a pension system, including part-time employees who have the option to join a pension system, will be enrolled in Tier IV of the pension system if the requisite forms are received by the pension system before April 1, 2012 or will be enrolled in Tier VI of the pension system if the requisite forms are received by the pension system on or after April 1, 2012. me ASAP.
If you have any questions, or would like to enroll in Tier IV, please contact Sondra Brereton at extension 4543.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) Program 2012 Open Enrollment Period
November 1, 2011
Please be advised that the Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) Program Open Enrollment Period for Plan Year 2012 is: September 26, 2011 - November 18, 2011 for an effective date of January 1, 2012.
The Plan Year 2012 FSA Program Brochure and forms will be available on the OLR Web site after September 26, 2011.
- Current 2011 participants (HCFSA & DeCAP) will receive 2012 re-enrollment packets in October 2011.
- MSC Health Benefits Buy-Out Waiver Program for 2012 is automatic for current active participants. In order to withdraw from the MSC Health Benefits Buy-Out Waiver Program, a 2012 MSC Enrollment/Change Form must be completed and returned to the HR/Payroll Office by November 18, 2011.
If you have any questions, please contact Sondra Brereton at extension 4543.
Fall 2011 Health Insurance Annual Transfer Period
November 1, 2011
REMINDER: Fall 2011 Health Insurance Annual Transfer period begins today and ends November 30, 2011.
On Thursday November 3, 2011 The Human Resources Department will host a Health Benefits and Wellness Fair in the cafeteria from 1:00pm - 4:00pm. Representatives from health insurance carriers and financial providers will be in attendance to offer valuable information and to answer any questions you may have.
Upcoming Information Session: Wage Works
April 12, 2011
Wage Works is our new Transit Benefit Program which expanded our previous Program to include more transit providers throughout the New York Tri-State area such as; MTA NYCT, Long Island Railroad, Metro North Railroad, NJ Transit, PATH, and Waterway.
You are invited to come and learn more about this new program at an information session conducted by Wage Works.
Thursday, April 28, 2011
12 Noon - 2:00 pm
If you have any questions you may contact Sondra Brereton at extension 4543 or by email.
Young Adult Coverage to Age 26 Update
March 18, 2011
- The Special Open Enrollment Period dates have been changed from April 1 to May 1, 2011 and will run through May 31, 2011. This Open Enrollment is for the sole purpose of allowing employees to enroll their eligible young adult dependents under their health benefits coverage through the City of New York. Employees will not be permitted to make changes to their current health plan.
- Coverage for newly added young adult dependents will become effective July 1, 2011.
- Coverage will terminate for children who reach age 26 at the end of the month in which they turn age 26, with the exception of eligible disabled children.
- Student status will no longer be required to include eligible young adult dependents on your coverage.
- There will be no additional cost for adding your young adult dependent to your coverage if you already have family coverage. If you are currently enrolled with individual coverage, your plan will change to family coverage resulting in an increase in your payroll deductions.
- Documentation such as birth certificate, adoption papers, legal guardianship papers, etc., must be submitted to the HR/Payroll office along with a Health Benefits Application and a Young Adult Eligibility Certification form in order to add a young adult dependent to your coverage.
- Children age 18 or older who have access to other employer sponsored health benefits coverage through their own employment or their spouse are not eligible for coverage under the City Health Benefits Program.
During the Open Enrollment Period, you may visit the HR/Payroll Office to enroll your eligible young adult dependent under your health benefits coverage. If you have any questions, or require additional information, please contact Benefits Coordinator Sondra Brereton, by e-mail or call 718-340-4543.
WageWorks (New Transit Program)
February 10, 2011: Enrollment forms for the newly expanded Commuter Benefits are now available in the HR/Payroll office.
WageWorks expands the TransitBenefit Program to include more transit providers throughout the New York Tri-State area such as; MTA NYCT, Long Island Railroad, Metro-North Railroad, NJ Transit, PATH, and Waterway. In addition, The new commuter benefits program can be used for Paratransit and the MTA's Access-A-Ride program and Park-and-Ride.
To learn more about the new program please contact Sondra Brereton at x4543 or click here.
Dedicated Sick Leave Program
May 10, 2010: The University Office of Labor Relations has implemented the Dedicated Sick Leave Program (DSL) for all CUNY colleges. This program enables individuals who are employed full-time on an annual salary basis to donate sick leave and/or annual leave for use as sick leave by a seriously ill or injured colleague who meets the eligibility requirements for participation in the program.
Download the form and instructions » <pdf>
Health Net 2010 Plan Closing
Aetna Plan Changes, Hospital Agreements Terminated on April 5, 2010
April 9, 2010: Continuum Health Partners, which includes Beth Israel Medical Center - Petrie Division, Beth Israel Medical Center - Kings Highway Division, Long Island College Hospital, New York Eye and Ear Infirmary and St Luke's Roosevelt Hospital; Center, has terminated its relationship with Aetna effective April 5, 2010.
Read more » <pdf>
TIAA-CREF Members: Elimination of the Mandatory Employee Contribution for Members of CUNY's Optional Retirement Program
March 31, 2010: As a reminder, in 2008 legislation was passed that amended the State Education Law to eliminate the mandatory contribution for employees participating in 'the Optional Retirement Program (TIAA-CREF) over a three-year period.
Read more » <pdf>
N.Y. State COBRA-like Law Extends Dependent Benefits Coverage to Age 29
March 9, 2010: New York State now allows unmarried dependents over 23 years old to extend their basic health insurance coverage under a parent's group plan to age 29.
Read more »
February/March 2010 issue of Inside TRS
Office & Service Window Hours
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Monday - Thursday
Call office for hours of operation
Closed on Fridays
Human Resources/ Payroll Department
CUNY School of Law
2 Court Square
Long Island City, NY 11101-4356
Main #: (718) 340-4223
Fax #: (718) 340-4434
HR Director & Labor Relations Liaison
Elizabeth Johnston - 718-340-4520
Associate HR Director
Jeffrey Edwards - 718-340-4224
HR Benefits Specialist
Sondra Brereton - 718-340-4543
HR Payroll Specialist
Carmen Vason - 718-340-4229
Diana Kunkel - 718-340-4225
Stacey Rockwell - 718-340-4532