Exercise #2: Transform Active Voice into Passive Voice
(Material Prepared by Silvia Rivero)
Turn the following sentences into their passive version by rewriting them. When it is not possible to turn a sentence into the passive, explain why.
1. Mr. Stanton will buy the house previously occupied by Andrew Learner.
2. Mr. Rumsfeld was building a small barn and a fence outside his property limits.
3. The defendant Mrs. Wilkins will place all the new structures in the assigned location.
4. His attempt was considered a failure.
5. The owners have maintained the historic house and its surrounding park since 1976.
6. The prosecutor had a strong case.
7. Dr. Brown fled to the hospital as soon as possible.
8. During the trial the victim's relatives looked distressed, while the defendant seemed remorseless.
9. Mr. Crown would have answered the call if he had been at home.
10. The police may arrest you for this.
11. Joe Watson might have explained the cause of that behavior to the police, but they decided to take him to the precinct anyway.