Founded in 2012, the CUNY Law Association of Students for Housing (CLASH) advances the principle that housing is a human right by promoting the integration of housing law into the CUNY law curriculum and within student life. We also work to promote housing justice, access to affordable housing, and access to housing-related legal services, through our activities and work with on-campus and community organizations.
Recap of Our Work
- Helped establish housing docket within Community Economic Development clinic
- Co-organized the National Lawyer's Guild Anti-Racism Committee's November 2013 CLE "The Community Land Trust Solution CLE: Creating permanent, affordable housing through shared local ownership" with speakers Peter Marcuse, professor emeritus of urban planning, School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, Columbia University; and Ryan Ridings, Esq., associate at Goldstein Hall, PLLC and attorney for Cooper Square Community Land Trust
- Organized October 2013 panel "Shelter from the Storm: A Conversation about New York Housing One Year after Sandy" with speakers Jason Chan, Director of Chinatown Tenants Union, CAAAV; Melissa Trentadue, Disaster Case Management Supervisor in Far Rockaway for Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens; and Mimi Rosenberg, Senior Attorney, Housing Law Unit, Brooklyn Neighborhood Office, Legal Aid Society.
- Co-organized the CUNY Law Review's March event, "Bringing Justice Home: Roots and Resistance in the NYC Housing Struggle" with speakers Justin Haines, director, Foreclosure Prevention Unit, Bronx Legal Services; Helena Wong, executive director, CAAAV; Rob Robinson, Human Right to Housing Campaign, National Economic and Social Research Initiative (NESRI); Josh Zinner, co-director, Neighborhood Economic Development Advocacy Project (NEDAP); Pavita Krishnaswamy, deputy director of litigation, South Brooklyn Legal Services (moderator)
- Organized November 2012 event with Hannah Dobbz, a Pittsburgh-based author, filmmaker, and housing activist, on squatter's rights and property defense.
- Collaborated with Labor Coalition to staff landlord/tenant law training.
- Distributed school-wide student survey on interest in housing/property issues.