PHI ALPHA DELTA (PAD) was established in 1902 and is one of the oldest professional law fraternities in the U.S. Its mission is to advance integrity, compassion and courage through service to students, the school, the profession, and the community. PHI ALPHA DELTA has law school chapters across the U.S. with over 300,000 initiated members. It is committed to promoting diversity, innovation, and professionalism in the legal field with a focus on public service. PHI ALPHA DELTA also provides its members with a vast network of law students and attorneys who share a sense of commitment to justice and a sense of community within the legal profession that extends beyond law school.
What we do at CUNY:
Better known as the Murray Chapter, PHI ALPHA DELTA's presence at CUNY is growing and we look forward to adding new members to our roster this coming Fall. Anyone and everyone who is committed to social justice, and who can see the value in being part of a large community of people that share many of the same goals and ambitions in the pursuit of justice are encouraged to join.
Some interesting facts about PHI ALPHA DELTA:
Phi Alpha Delta was the first law fraternity to...
- Open membership to all genders, races, creeds and national origins.
- Host one of the largest Mock Trial Competitions for law students in the country.
- Conduct a "Senior Transition Program" for pre-law students entering law school.
- Establish a Pre-Law Program to assist undergraduate students interested in the law.
- Hold PHI ALPHA DELTA Day at the Supreme Court, a day designated for PHI ALPHA DELTA attorneys to be admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Conduct an Annual Food Drive to directly benefit food banks chosen by Chapters in their local communities.
- Implement an on-line membership database for networking students and alumni/ae together.
Notable members of PHI ALPHA DELTA:
Several U.S. presidents and U.S. Supreme Court Justices have been members of PAD throughout the years. Currently, Justices Ginsburg, Breyer, Alito, Sotomayor, and Kagan are all members of PAD.